A soul-satisfying soup made with Italian sausage, potatoes, and hearty kale!
1 lb Italian Sausage, sweet or spicy, cut into pieces
2 tbsps. butter
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup all purpose flour
4-6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
4 tbsp. Roasted Garlic Kraut
4 cups kale, washed and chopped
3 medium russet potatoes, sliced
- 3 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
Salt and pepper, to taste
- In large pot over medium heat add sausage, potatoes, onion, salt and crushed red pepper. Continue cooking for about 10 minutes, until the sausage is browned and thoroughly cooked.
- Add garlic and sauté until fragrant. Remove from heat and drain the grease from the pot. Return pot to medium heat and stir in flour. Slowly add in chicken or vegetable broth while stirring so the flour does not get clumpy.
- Add in milk, then turn the heat down to low. When potatoes are tender, add the kale and Roasted Garlic Kraut to the soup. Continue to simmer for about 15 minutes.
Add in the heavy cream and Parmesan cheese. Stir gently.
- Serve with fresh shredded Parmesan cheese and a tablespoon of Roasted Garlic Kraut.
Experiment with this soup based on your likes and what you have on hand! The seasonings are what will make this soup absolutely delicious. Use bay leaves, sea salt, black pepper, paprika, red crushed pepper, or anything you love!